- die off
- verbbecome extinct-
Dinosaurs died out• Syn: ↑die out• Verb Frames:-
* * *intransitive verb: to be removed severally or in numbers by death
her few remaining kinfolk died off one by one
* * *die offTo die quickly or in large numbers• • •Main Entry: ↑die
* * *ˌdie ˈoff [intransitive] [present tense I/you/we/they die off he/she/it dies off present participle dying off past tense died off past participle died off] phrasal verbif a group dies off, the members die one by one until none exist
The generation that fought in the war are all dying off.Thesaurus: to die or to be killedsynonymMain entry: die
* * *die off [phrasal verb]: to die one after another so that fewer and fewer are left
The remaining members of her family gradually died off.
The animals died off one by one.• • •Main Entry: ↑die
* * *ˌdie ˈoff derivedto die one after the other until there are none left
The reindeer herds are slowly dying off.Main entry: ↑diederived
Useful english dictionary. 2012.